glade 4.2.7 (RHEL5) won't run with any python

Home Forums Installation glade 4.2.7 (RHEL5) won't run with any python

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    u1538526
    Participant

Using a RHEL5.7 OS, I can get glade_4.1.86_linux64_rh5 to run perfectly with python_2.4.3, or python_2.6.6, or python_2.7.1. I don't make use of PYTHONHOME because my python installation is a funky wrapper-based installation. However, since 'python' is found via $PATH, glade seems to be happy. I do however set PYTHONPATH, and I confirm that I can get the API to work nicely.

After downloading the latest 4.2.7 build of glade for RHEL5, the interface refuses to load. Here is the error message I get:

Could not find platform independent libraries <prefix>
    Could not find platform dependent libraries <exec_prefix>
    Consider setting $PYTHONHOME to <prefix>[:<exec_prefix>]
    ImportError: No module named site

u1538526
    Participant

Using a RHEL5.7 OS, I can get glade_4.1.86_linux64_rh5 to run perfectly with python_2.4.3, or python_2.6.6, or python_2.7.1. I don't make use of PYTHONHOME because my python installation is a funky wrapper-based installation. However, since 'python' is found via $PATH, glade seems to be happy. I do however set PYTHONPATH, and I confirm that I can get the API to work nicely.

After downloading the latest 4.2.7 build of glade for RHEL5, the interface refuses to load. Here is the error message I get:

Could not find platform independent libraries <prefix>
    Could not find platform dependent libraries <exec_prefix>
    Consider setting $PYTHONHOME to <prefix>[:<exec_prefix>]
    ImportError: No module named site

u1538526
    Participant

If I disable the PYTHON env vars, glade_4.2.7 still won't load, and errors out with the same message. Therefore it seems it is not related to my python setup.

Keith
    Keymaster

Thanks for pointing this out. It seems the AS 2.7.2 python is bad somehow, as reverting to the previous 2.6 version (used in earlier versions of Glade) works fine.

Version 4.3.0 will have the fix.

u1538526
    Participant

you nailed it. it works nicely now, using 4.3.0.
    cheers
    Nicolas

u1538526
    Participant

I noticed 'glade -v' on this new build on RHEL5 doesn't really work. Normally the UI launches, then I have the lengthy traceback in a window. Now 'glade -v' causes the UI to fail. Here is the stdout/err:

> glade -v
    Could not find platform independent libraries
    Could not find platform dependent libraries
    Consider setting $PYTHONHOME to [:]
    'import site' failed; use -v for traceback Glade version
    Glade release version 4.3.0 compiled on Jun 6 2012 12:50:13 compiled on Jun 6 2012 12:49:37

Keith
    Keymaster

'glade -v' should just print the Glade version, and then exit.

The python interpreter is embedded into Glade and called via C++; Glade is not a Python app, so the normal -v for traceback doesn't work, or at least was never intended to work…

u1538526
    Participant

thanks for the info. I think I understand the issue. With glade 4.1.86, glade -v is triggering a crash, so the window that I thought was some kind of environment dump is actually an error report of a crash.

thanks
    Nicolas

Keith
    Keymaster

I think you can get the equivalent of the cmd line 'python -v' option by using an environment variable, according to the documentation:

PYTHONVERBOSE
    If this is set to a non-empty string it is equivalent to specifying the -v
    option. If set to an integer, it is equivalent to specifying -v
    multiple times.
    But yes, as you say, if Glade crashes then it displays a window with crash dump info on all platforms except Solaris. The idea being that if you want to submit a bug, the crash dump info can be used to trace what went wrong, in the absence of a reproducible test case.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.