Glade and Qt 5.x

Home Forums News Glade and Qt 5.x

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Keith
    Keymaster

I had hoped that version 4.4.0 and above would use Qt 5.x. After all, it's been nearly released a year. However, there are some real problems:

– Functionality changes. These can be handled, though.
    – Stability issues. In particular on Linux, it appears the port to use XCB has created many bugs with remote displays.
    – Lack of support for existing platforms. Qt5 does not support RHEL5/CentOS5 which is the 4th most popular platform after win64/win32/Ubuntu64. This is really inexcusable.
    – Failure to even compile on Mac OSX 10.9. Yes I guess it's not really their fault, as Apple have delivered an OS which is deficient in many ways with regards to back compatibility. But the beta was out a while, dear Qt folks…

So the bottom line is that I'm rolling back Linux ports to Qt 4.8 and the same to Mac OSX ports. The Windows Qt5 port I'll keep just to see what the stability/problems are like – so far I have had no reports of bugs. If you see any, let me know!

Keith
    Keymaster

I had hoped that version 4.4.0 and above would use Qt 5.x. After all, it's been nearly released a year. However, there are some real problems:

– Functionality changes. These can be handled, though.
    – Stability issues. In particular on Linux, it appears the port to use XCB has created many bugs with remote displays.
    – Lack of support for existing platforms. Qt5 does not support RHEL5/CentOS5 which is the 4th most popular platform after win64/win32/Ubuntu64. This is really inexcusable.
    – Failure to even compile on Mac OSX 10.9. Yes I guess it's not really their fault, as Apple have delivered an OS which is deficient in many ways with regards to back compatibility. But the beta was out a while, dear Qt folks…

So the bottom line is that I'm rolling back Linux ports to Qt 4.8 and the same to Mac OSX ports. The Windows Qt5 port I'll keep just to see what the stability/problems are like – so far I have had no reports of bugs. If you see any, let me know!

Keith
    Keymaster

So far, the Linux ports for RHEL5/6 and Ubuntu 12 have been done and back-ported to Qt 4.8.5.

Ubuntu 10 is current work in progrsss as is Max OSX 10.9

Patches have been applied to the Linux 4.8 Qt distribution to avoid a polygon clipping problem that results in incorrect drawing of polygons using QPainter – this does not affect OpenGL drawing.

Edit: all the platforms except win32/64 are on Qt 4.8.5 with the clipping patch.

Keith
    Keymaster

Mac and Linux ports will be upgraded to Qt 4.8.6 – note that 4.8.6 does NOT compile cleanly from source on OSX; you need at least the -no-phonon and perhaps the -no-webkit options. Fortunately Glade does not need these libraries.

I have yet to try to see if 5.3 is compilable or stable on all platforms (5.1 was definitely not)

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.